Data Modeling is the process of mapping out an information system and how multiple parts are connected. Data models are typically illustrated in an entity-relationship diagram for relational databases like the picture below.
## Benefits of data modeling
Data modeling makes it easier for developers and other stakeholders to view and understand the relationships between data in a database or data warehouse. A good data model can also have the following benefits:
- Reduce errors in software and database development.
- Increase consistency in documentation and system design across the enterprise.
- Improve application and database performance.
- Ease data mapping throughout the organization.
- Improve communication between developers and business intelligence teams.
- Ease and speed the process of database design at the conceptual, logical and physical levels.
## Schema Design Patterns
[[One Big Table]]
[[Dimensional Data Modeling|Dimensional Modeling]]
[[Data Vault Modeling]]
![[Learning Resources#Data Modeling Learning Resources]]
%% wiki footer: Please don't edit anything below this line %%
## This note in GitHub
<span class="git-footer">[Edit In GitHub](https://github.dev/data-engineering-community/data-engineering-wiki/blob/main/Concepts/Data%20Modeling.md "git-hub-edit-note") | [Copy this note](https://raw.githubusercontent.com/data-engineering-community/data-engineering-wiki/main/Concepts/Data%20Modeling.md "git-hub-copy-note") </span>